Central Coast New Tech High School Valedictorian Policy
The Valedictorian and Salutatorian will be determined by a total cumulative weighted GPA using the following criteria:
- A total of 10 AP courses (if taken at other schools), or weighted classes (5.0 GPA), or no more than 18 CSU/UC transferable college level units will be recalculated with a weighted (5.0 scale), and used in the calculations for Valedictorian/Salutatorian. Students taking more than 18 CSU/UC transferable college level units will receive regular weighting (4.0 GPA) for those additional courses in calculations for Valedictorian/Salutatorian consideration.
- College-level courses that are IGETC approved and taken outside the school day will be weighted.
- Exactly 52 total classes, taken at any institution, will be used for valedictorian calculations. If more than 52 are on a transcript only the lowest 52 letter grades will be considered for valedictorian purposes.
- Courses receiving CR/NC grades will not be considered in GPA calculations for Valedictorian/Salutatorian except for Zero Period Athletics.*
- The deadline for determining the Valedictorian/Salutatorian is 2 weeks from graduation. Teachers will turn in individual grade reports for those students in contention for Valedictorian/Salutatorian. Grades for college courses must be received by the administration 2 weeks prior to graduation.
- Students must maintain an Average Daily Attendance equal to that of the Average Daily Attendance of their high school, and attend the same high school for their entire junior and senior years.
- Students caught violating the academic honesty policy on more than one occasion during any of their high school attendance will NOT be considered for valedictorian.
- Students with a mandatory expulsion offense on their high school record as defined by Ed Code 48915(a) and (c) will not be considered for valedictorian.
- Any unforeseen circumstances not addressed in 1-8 will be dealt with at the time they are brought to the attention of the CCNTH Administration and the decision of the CCNTH Administration will be final in the determination of the selection of the Valedictorian and Salutatorian.
* Only if offered.
College courses cannot be taken in lieu of courses offered by CCNTH.